July 16, 2012

WAYNE COUNTY SPORTSMAN CLUB CARP SHOOT POSTCARD

June 4, 1972
by Wayne County Sportsman Club


The Wayne County Sportsman Club was established in 1945 and is still active to this day though I have a feeling that carp shoots are no longer allowed but I could be wrong.

From the looks of their magazine archives and their more recent events the group seems to have started off as a hunting club but has evolved into a shooting association. Which makes sense since the population dynamics of the area have drastically shifted from the city to the suburbs in the past 60+ years.

The carp shoot took place June 4, 1972 at Pointe Mouillee and the grand prize was a 12 ft. aluminum boat with lesser prizes for various other fish class catches. While I've heard of shooting fish I don't ever recall anybody doing it with a bow and arrow but obviously it's not a new sport.

I found this post card along with a few other previously posted raffle tickets in a book I bought in a thrift store out in Ypsilanti several years ago. I happened upon them again a few months back while sorting through some junk in boxes and thought I should post it here for posterity's sake and because they are cool relics.

No comments: