December 21, 2012

A DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE LETTER TO MR. FRANKLIN GEORGE FOREJT FOR A COMMENDATION MEDAL


My brother likes to junk pick for scrap metal and collectibles and lucked upon this Medal of Commendation letter which was stuck in an old business self-help book. Actually, he was going to toss it as well but luckily asked if I wanted any of the books and since I've found tons of great stuff inside different publications I flipped through the pages and unearthed it. Surely it was a mistake by the family but that's what scavengers are for.

From what I can discern, Mr. Forejt was born in Pennsylvania on September 25, 1932 to George W., 32, and Mary Forejt, 27. According to the 1940 United States Census that were residing in Westmoreland, Pennsylvania in 1940 along with Franklin's sister Joanne, 9, who was two years older than he.

He enlisted in the Air Force and served in the Korean War as a Staff Sergeant. I'm assuming that he had been discharged from the military at the time of the letter in November of 1970 since they simply address him as Mr. Forejt and not SSgt. or whatever rank he achieved though I'm only assuming as much.

The letter states that he was stationed at KI Sawyer Air Force Base near Marquette, Michigan and other than his address listed in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan I couldn't find anything else but his date of death and place of burial.

Another site suggests that his last residence was in Chippewa, Michigan but that can't be confirmed. He died on September 13, 1998 and is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Sault Ste. Marie.

No comments: