April 28, 2015

HOTEL CHEF STARTS WORK A YEAR AHEAD WHEN MAKING CHRISTMAS PUDDINGS

The Detroit News, December 17, 1939 (enlarge)
I don't believe that I've ever had a Christmas pudding and know almost nothing about the Book Cadillac hotel in Detroit but that won't stop me from posting my accumulated ephemera.

Max Baumgartner, pastry chef extraordinaire for the Book Cadillac Hotel and apparently a renown chef in his native Europe, served the self-anointed world's best pudding at the Book Cadillac Hotel back in the 1930s. It was also noted for its preparation time: a solid year in advance. Which must have taken some discipline even for a Nazi.

You didn't expect that, did you? Neither did I. Though I must admit that it adds character to the story. His underlings, Peter Ossa and Peter Oberling, seem to have stuck to baking and left ideology to the more advanced artisans.

No comments: