May 18, 2016

BARS & STRIPES: OFFICIAL PUBLICATION OF THE DETROIT POLICE LIEUTENANTS AND SERGEANTS ASSOCIATION, VOLUME 14, NUMBER 3, MARCH, 1979

backdrop from The Detroit News, February 20, 1972
I meant to write about this weeks ago but got caught up in the mania of imperfect returns and could not proceed with the shoddy photos that I was going to present. Today, I am less selective. Mainly because it's not about presentation so much as information. I can always redo the shots.

Plus, if I don't keep up with a one-a-day sampling of my wares then the cogs of the world grind and thwart my mind hither and thither away from the message. Ah- the joys of solipsism.

I initially picked Officer Doreen Mathis from the publication hoping that she had some relation to Judge Mathis since he's from Detroit. Which precludes the possibility that Doreen wasn't. Maybe she is but I couldn't connect the two.

What I did learn was that Mathis was the first female Detroit cop to kill in the line of duty. The hallowing act solidified earned her respect with the male-dominated rank and file.


Needless to say, the Hart pictured here, a Sergeant Edward Hart, was no Chief William Hart.

The other officers given medals in the article are Jeffrey Van Steen and William Fraser.


And an upgrade to the main picture of the Bars & Stripes cover that I will eventually scan in its entirety before peddling it on eBay:

No comments: