May 5, 2016

DETROIT ZOO CHANGE PURSE


I haven't been to the Detroit Zoo in years and quite frankly, it kind of sucks. The zoo that is and not my absence. But it was the only zoo that I knew growing up. One trip to the Toledo Zoo and a few others in the south cured me of that. Though I do have scant memories of riding the old chooch at the Royal Oak plantation the main thing most visitors take away is the amount of walking one has to do to see so very little. Whereas the Toledo Zoo and others are compacted the Detroit Zoo seems to go on forever and the span between seeing animals is too damn long.

Anyway, my lone fond memory that I can recall was sometime in the early 90s. I took my long-time girlfriend there and around the zebra sanctuary we decided to get a snack. Fries, I believe that it was, and a soft drink to wash it down. While imbibing I noticed that one of the zebras was getting frisky. Out sprung his mating apparatus and then the climbing up on its partner's back. My girlfriend was mortified and chastised me as if I had done something wrong. I pointed out that it was the zebra's fault and not mine but she was having none of it. I was the bad guy once more.


I'd like to say that she's my wife now and our children are building prosperous careers for themselves after college but that would be mindless play-acting. She's gone and that's fine by me. Despite the mass-failure which is my life, I have a beautiful and intelligent daughter who makes all the shortcomings that much smaller.

As for the change purse, my guess would be that it's from the 1950s or 60s, with a preference for the former. The fact that it was made in Hong Kong likely reinforces that supposition.

No comments: