May 13, 2016

NEW ERA POTATO CHIP TIN


In elementary school my brothers and I almost always brought a bag lunch. The exception being certain Fridays when hotdogs were the special treat. Steamed to perfection and served with New Era potato chips. At least that's how I remember it. Which would make sense since they were "scientifically processed" to be healthier than the average potato chip and thus a boon for school-age nutrition. Except that we didn't care about that sort of thing in the 1970s despite the fact that obesity was a fraction of what it is in this era of health obsession.


While the health claims were mostly specious--potato chips aren't a treacherous snack unless one overindulges on a regular basis--the claims for "whole, unbroken chips" was likely feasible. Especially so since they were packed to the brim in a tin canister. The part which grabbed my attention was the claim that "specially constructed spring cushioned base supply trucks" carried the fare from factory to their retail destination. Having driven in older cars it's hard to imagine that a commercial truck was a cushioned ride.


By the by I found this the other day at an antique store for $4.50. Since I've always wanted one and the price was right the rust and imperfections weren't going to deter me. Plus, it was my birthday and nobody else was buying my cantankerous ass anything so I figured why not.

No comments: