May 4, 2016

PHOTOGRAPH OF SUGAR ISLAND: AS SEEN FROM MESCO (OR AT LEAST I THINK IT IS), JUNE 3, 1922


I only went to Bob-Lo twice thirty some years ago and both times I got sick on the boat en route. The stench of the river and the vessel itself offset the rollicking music and the milling about of souls.

I do recall lying on a park bench and giving away money to my friends so that they could enjoy themselves on my behalf. The only caveat was that they feed me liquids. I don't recall if they did or not.

I also recall hearing "Electric Avenue" by Eddie Grant on the ship several times and despite the negative connotations of each trip I still contend that it's one of the great songs of the 1980s.

Now that I've gotten the mundane out of the way let's get to facts:

I don't know what island this is. I believe that it's Sugar Island because it appears to be very slight and somewhat oval. Which seems to be the main qualification in the link of mostly odd-shaped land flotillas along the Detroit River. But if the description on the back is correct the distances seem wrong. Unless it was shot from Mesco Island and that's Bois Blanc (Boblo) in the background. Or the notes could be way off and this is possibly Calf Island but that seems iffy as well. But I don't know.


Either way, it was taken on June 3, 1922. There were bathing beach signs on the island that stated "DANGER KEEP OFF." Though it doesn't seem that warning was heeded as there appears to be a boat camped on terra firma, a lion crouched in the shadowed brush, a vicious boat-eating serpent at the shore's edges and various goblins dancing the death wriggle of eternal life.

No comments: